29 Nov 2011

Apple Brown Sugar Meringue Pie



An international food magazine has finally been launched in India!! BBC Good Food India was launched this month and I had to try out a recipe. The beautiful apples available this season made me want to try this variation of an apple pie. 



For me, an apple pie is not just about the apple filling but also very much about the crust. I really appreciate a nice thick crumbly buttery crust in my pies. This one promised a buttery biscuit layer and a brown sugar meringue topping. The filling was simply delicious. My family loved it and ate up every crumb. But I wanted the crust to be much thicker.

I made the biscuit layer mixed with some oats. Also, I used a classic 9 inch pie dish instead of small 3 inch ones. I would suggest that when you try this out, increase the amount of biscuits and butter you use for the crust and use 3 egg whites for the meringue topping. Using 2 ½ apples instead of 3 for the filling would probably be a better choice too – keep the other ingredients the same.

 Here’s hoping that the next time I make this, I am left craving for more!

Apple Brown Sugar Meringue Pie

Adapted from BBC Good Food India magazine

Ingredients:
For the filling:
Tart green apples, 3 peeled, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Sugar ½ cup
Flour 1 tbsp
Cinnamon powder ½ tsp
Cream 2 tbsp
Walnuts ½ cup, chopped finely
Butter 1 tbsp, to dot the filling

For the pie shell:
Digestive biscuits 150 gms, ground into crumbs
Butter 50 gms, melted and cooled

For the brown sugar meringue topping
Egg whites, 2
Cream of tartar 1/8 tsp (I used a pinch of salt as a substitute).
Demerera sugar, 4 tbsp

  1. preheat the oven to 180 C. Keep 6 3” loose bottom tart tins ready. (I used a 9” pie dish).
  2. Toss all the filling ingredients, except the butter in a large bowl, making sure the apple pieces are coated well. Reserve.
  3. Mix the biscuit crumbs with the melted butter and divide between the tart tins. Press halfway up the sides and cover the bottom, pressing gently but firmly into place. Divide the filling equally between the tart tins. Dot with butter, cover the tins with foil and place on a cookie tray. Bake for 35 mins (40 – 45 mins if using a large pie dish) at 190 C.
  4. when there are 5 mins to go, prepare the brown sugar meringue topping. Beat the whites with the salt until they hold soft peaks. Gradually add the brown sugar, one tbsp at a time and continue to beat till the meringue holds stiff peaks and is very firm.
  5. take the tray out of the oven and remove the foil. Reduce the oven temperature to 180 C. Divide the meringue filling equally between the tart tins, making sure it seals the edges completely. Make peaks with the back of a spatula ( I could not do this as I did not have enough meringue – use 3 egg whites please). Return to the oven. Bake for 15 – 20 mins (if using a large pie dish, bake for 30 – 35 mins) until golden brown. Cool the pies on a rack and refrigerate until ready to serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment